Re: Proficio - Quisk on Windows? (N7CXI)

Hi Ed,
I use the command window (started as an administrator) to run quisk.
I go to the directory C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\quisk and then start it using: python quisk.py

You should be able to see any errors printed out by Python in this way.
Make sure you use a text editor to make changes to the file.
Let me know how you go. If we can find a robust solution for a few versions of W7 and W10 that have this problem it would be ideal, as I said my test options here are a bit limited.
Regards,
Tony.

On Thursday, 24 August 2017, 18:15, murphy edward via Groups.Io <ed.gm3sbc@...> wrote:

Hello Tony,

Just to say that I have the USB permission problem with my Windows 7 ( presumably with updates to number 834 ) So maybe that makes it W7, version 834, . . . . Lol.

ANYWAY, I inserted your code as below and it did do something.

Quisk will now longer start up.

There is a script that flashes up for a microsecond so at some point I shall have to slow that script down a bit so that I can read it and see what it is all about.
Thanks for your efforts.

Regards
Ed GM3SBC

Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Multus SDR] Proficio - Quisk on Windows? (N7CXI)

Hi Stew,
I had the same issue on my Windows 10 PC.
After a bit of investigation with the python scripts it seems like quisk was selecting the libusb1.py backend rather than the libusb0.py backend that matches the libusb0 driver.
I managed to fix this by adding
_lib.usb_init() to get_backend() in the file C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\quisk\usb\backend\libusb1.py (this is toward the end of the file)

This part of the file now looks like this.

def get_backend(find_library=None):
    global _lib
    try:
        if _lib is None:
           _lib = _load_library(find_library)
           _setup_prototypes(_lib)
# added a new line here
           _lib.usb_init()      
        return _LibUSB(_lib)

Now when it tries to initialise the library after loading the libusb1.py backend it fails (as it should) and then continues on to load the correct libusb0.py backend. It seems like there is some variation between computers about how this part of the code behaves - but this change sorted out my problems. I have to say it hasn't been checked extensively as I only have one windows 10 machine and no Linux machines at present.
Regards,
Tony.
VK4KRC

On Friday, 18 August 2017, 10:28, Stew N8VET <n8vet.oh@...> wrote:

I am Admin for my login user accounts.

I'll have to dig deeper into this issue, at least I have something to compare with now.

73, Stew Pitou
N8VET

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Garry48 <ggkraemer@...> wrote:
N8VET,

Does the ‘user’ have ‘administrator’ privileges on the Win7Pro / Win7 Premium computer and Win10 laptop?

Garry / WD0DUD

Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Multus SDR] Proficio - Quisk on Windows? (N7CXI)

I had an old windows 7 tablet laying around and decided to give it a try.  Using the exact same programs and setup Quisk works fine first time through.

So the question is, what is causing my issues(no permission to connect to USB) on the other computers?  One computer is dual booted with Win7Pro and Win7 Premium.  The other computer is a Win10 laptop.

73, Stew Pitou
N8VET

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 1:45 PM, Robert Dale <ve7zn@...> wrote:
All,
I have just set up Quisk on my Windows 7 machine. Took all of about 5 minutes following James Ahlstrom's instructions. Dead simple and runs great.  Make sure you have the correct wxpython file and that both your python 2.7 and wxpython are the 32 bit versions. Follow the install instructions and voila!

No special permissions/ownership or other needed in my install. Just worked. You do have to set up your configuration once you load Quisk but you do that no matter what OS it's installed with. Same procedures.

Robert VE7ZN

---- On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 10:12:52 -0700 Ron / W4MMP via Groups.Io <w4mmp=aol.com@groups.io> wrote ----

Hi Stew,
Try running Quisk as administrator if your default user does not have admin rights.
Ron / W4MMP
On 8/16/2017 12:36, Stew N8VET wrote:
Hi Ron,

I'm not having any luck using the softrock/hardware_usb.py  I have (Python 2.7.13.msi , wxpython3.0-win32-3.0.2.0-py27 .msi  and Quisk 4.1.10.win32-py2.7.msi) installed without errors.

I still get "no permission to access the Softrock USB interface"

I'm dual Win7 booted and I get same on both OSs.  I have yet to get Quisk to open on my Win10 laptop.

73, Stew Pitou
N8VET

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 6:30 AM, Ron / W4MMP via Groups.Io <w4mmp@...> wrote:

Folks,
Please keep in mind that if the ExtIO_Proficio DLL was used at anytime,  the Proficio must be power cycled before using Quisk.  This returns the rig to Si570 mode.  The rig must be in Si570 mode to function correctly with host applications that support the Softrock RXTX format of commands. 
--
Thank you for your support and business,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

--
Thank you for your support and business,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

--
Robert VE7ZN

Join main@MultusSDR.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.