Topics

For the highly skilled builder

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Folks,
I just received a small supply (five) bare Proficio PCBs.  For folks who own an original or Rev C Proficio, this is an opportunity to upgrade to a Ver 5.2 Proficio at a cheap price.  But this only for folks who have the advanced stills and equipment to perform this upgrade.   At least 98% of the components of the original or Rev C Proficio PCBs are directly transferable to the Ver 5.2 PCB.

The advantages of upgrading to the 5.x PCB are:
1) TX mixer capacitors.  We changed these from electrolytic to tantalum.  This provided a tad more balance and stability for TX I/Q generation.
2) New Si5351 crystal.  This crystal has a PPM of +/- 10PPM.  The original crystal is +/- 30PPM.
3) I/Q image generation is a bit less and well under -43dbm out of the box and with I/Q calibration, in the noise.
4) Fully compatible with the MFC.  (No hacks needed).
The first two items above require new components.  I will provide a complete BOM (actually the one used by the manufacture) so that you may order the components from your favorite distributor.

The price is $25.00 USD.  This price includes shipping within the continental U.S.  This offer is only for customers who currently own an original or Rev C Proficio.  Please don't purchase a PCB with the idea of producing and selling the Proficio.
--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,

Dale P

Hi Ron.

Just how bare are boards.....do they have the surface mount components?

Thanks
Dale VA6OK

On Jun 4, 2020, at 8:15 PM, Ron / W4MMP via groups.io <w4mmp@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Dale,
Really bare ;).  Nothing on them.  The idea is to remove the components from an existing Proficio and install them on the new board.  There are three really fine pitch chips.  The PSoC, PCM3060 and the Si5351.  All other chips are fairly easy for an experienced builder.  The passive components are fairly easy also as they are all 1206 size.  At one time a few years ago, I did a fair amount of this SMT stuff, but the hands now shake a wee bit too much these days.  I figure it will take an experienced builder three solid evenings to get the job done.
--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

As a person who has attempted to transfer a rig from one PCB to another I would strongly advise not to.
 I have just about everything you would need including a re flow oven. I had to replace about 25% of components and the cost from Mouser was the same as a new rig. As Ron says, the PSoC, PCM3060 and the Si5351 are not easy!
73
Richard
VK6FR

Really bare ;).  Nothing on them.  The idea is to remove the components from an existing Proficio and install them on the new board.  There are three really fine pitch chips.  The PSoC, PCM3060 and the Si5351.  All other chips are fairly easy for an experienced builder.  The passive components are fairly easy also as they are all 1206 size.  At one time a few years ago, I did a fair amount of this SMT stuff, but the hands now shake a wee bit too much these days.  I figure it will take an experienced builder three solid evenings to get the job done.
--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Dale P

Thanks Richard and Ron.  The challenge would be neat but with import charges on parts and the headache factor, I think I will take Richard's advice.

73
Dale VA6OK

On Jun 5, 2020, at 7:31 AM, Richard Frizell <richardf@...> wrote:

[...]

Would it help if I included the components (four tantalum capacitors and the crystal) that are unique to the 5.x PCB?  That way there will be just one import charge.  Just curious just how much is the tariff on a $30.00 USD item?

Of course I will need to raise the price just a tad to cover the components.

73,
Ron / W4MMP
On 6/5/2020 10:59, Dale P wrote:

[...]

I'd be interested but I don't think mine is compatible.  It says Omnia Proficio   2015-2016 Omnia SDR.

David
KB9GPM

Ron / W4MMP

All Proficio versions are compatible.

73,
Ron / W4MMP
On 6/5/2020 15:02, David Jones via groups.io wrote:

I'd be interested but I don't think mine is compatible.  It says Omnia Proficio   2015-2016 Omnia SDR.

David
KB9GPM

--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Dale P

Hi Ron.

I'm not sure of the duty.  Ham radio equipment is exempt from duty (if clearly declared as ham/amateur radio gear) but subject to a 5% sales tax (GST) upon import.  The lovely thing they do typically through the mail is add a $9.95 processing fee to collect the tax.  It doesn't happen all the time.  There seems to be a value threshold that triggers the processing charge which seems to be somewhere in the $100 dollar range.

So the charges aren't usually horrible but a bit of a pain for sure.

Anyway I had an up close look at my Proficio and I don't think I want to venture down the road of transplanting all the components.  I don't seem to have enough shack time as it is.

Thanks and 73
Dale VA6OK
Ok Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 5, 2020, at 2:41 PM, Ron / W4MMP via groups.io <w4mmp@...> wrote:

All Proficio versions are compatible.

73,
Ron / W4MMP
On 6/5/2020 15:02, David Jones via groups.io wrote:
I'd be interested but I don't think mine is compatible.  It says Omnia Proficio   2015-2016 Omnia SDR.

David
KB9GPM

--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

w1dry@...

I would like to build a Proficio from scratch.  But I don't currently own a Multis SDR.  I have built a softrock TX RX back in the day.  Can I still  buy the board so I can create one from scratch myself.  I am an IPC certified solder and an engineer for Microchip Technologies Inc.  I would really enjoy it.  Let me know . . .

Respectfully,

Michael Wyman

W1DRY

[...]

Hi Michael,
With respect, I would like to provide these PCBs to customers who would like to upgrade.  Trust me on this, by the time you purchase all the components needed for just one build,  the cost exceeds the purchase price of Proficio kit.