Topics

Fuse holder question

Rob G8ZAX

Just building the Proficio, all going well, but I am slightly confused by the simplest part of all...the fuse holder!
Mine seems to be a loop of wire going from one side of the fuse holder to the other...assume I cut it?

Rob

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Rob,

Yep,  cut it in the middle and attach it to a length of #18 lamp cord wire (or pretty much whatever you have in the shack).  Good to hear that you are using the fuse!  It really does protect the rig if reverse polarity is accidentally applied to the rig or if an internal short occurs in the rig.  Even if something does short out in the rig, at least lands and traces are not blown off the PCB ;-)

73,
Ron / W4MMP

--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,

Rob G8ZAX

Super! many thanks for the speedy reply.
BTW on the MFC, there is a PTT connector which is not shown in the MFC assembly instructions....do we leave this unused?

73
Rob
G8ZAX

(and William M7WER)

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Rob,

Ah, my bad.  The manual has not been updated.  On the MFC PCB there is a spot for the PTT.  You should have received a TRS connector (if not, then my bad, again).  That is installed in the back panel and wired to the PTT spot on the PCB.  This is a fixed function connection. It only handles PTT (such as a foot switch or the like).  You will not see a configuration option in MSCC for this connection.

73,
Ron / W4MMP
On 5/30/2020 10:02, Rob G8ZAX wrote:

Super! many thanks for the speedy reply.
BTW on the MFC, there is a PTT connector which is not shown in the MFC assembly instructions....do we leave this unused?

73
Rob
G8ZAX

(and William M7WER)

--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Rob G8ZAX

Hi Ron,
Yes, I have the TRS connector! Will connect as described.
So far the instructions and the parts have been beautifully put together.

73
Rob

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Rob,

I just remembered there is a gotcha when installing the PTT (it got me when I first did it).  Please hold off on installing the TRS.  If the wires are not installed with proper polarity,  the Proficio will be in constant key down mode.

I need to update the schematic on the forum so you can see which wire is ground.  I really need to get the document updated.

73,
Ron / W4MMP
On 5/30/2020 12:31, Rob G8ZAX wrote:

Hi Ron,
Yes, I have the TRS connector! Will connect as described.
So far the instructions and the parts have been beautifully put together.

73
Rob

--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Rob,
OK, the schematic has been updated and below is a photo of the TRS connector.  The ground wire goes to Pin #2 on the MFC PTT connector.  I don't have a photo of that just yet, but use the schematic and a DVM to determine the ground connection.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Rob G8ZAX

Thanks Ron,
Got that one sorted now thanks
BTW the MFC power cable - there are no good pictures showing the Display Daughter Board power connector, the only picture showing it shows 2x 4 pin connectors (I2C?)
Perhaps an updated photo might help other builders?
I have now fitted this (tested the +ve is going to the diode) as per the schematic

73
Rob

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Rob,

I will update the assembly manual in the coming few days.

73,
Ron / W4MMP
On 5/31/2020 08:57, Rob G8ZAX wrote:

Thanks Ron,
Got that one sorted now thanks
BTW the MFC power cable - there are no good pictures showing the Display Daughter Board power connector, the only picture showing it shows 2x 4 pin connectors (I2C?)
Perhaps an updated photo might help other builders?
I have now fitted this (tested the +ve is going to the diode) as per the schematic

73
Rob

--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Rob G8ZAX

Hi Ron
One last query (I hope)
The JP2 removal....we have done that, but on trying to slide the board into the case, it is clear that the solder pad completely touches the aluminium side slots (top and bottom)
From the schematic, this looks like the case side slots will be connected to +12v. See photo attached

Please advise....

Rob G8ZAX

Actually..... there is one picture in the MFC assembly instructions which show the board does not go in the slots, but beneath.....
I was being silly!

But it could be a little clearer

Rob

Ron / W4MMP

Yes, thanks I will make that change to the manual among a few other changes.

You will notice there is a 1mm gap between the top of the PCB and the rail.  Not much I admit but enough to prevent a short condition.

I am sorry this has been giving you a bit of troubles.  The JP2 thing is an oversight when it came to the MFC.

The fit of the Proficio into the case has always been on the tight side of things.  The case chosen was the only off the shelf case that will accommodate the Proficio that is fairly easy to assemble and has adequate cooling vents. But once everything is put in place and buttoned up it is good to go.  It is not something one would want to assemble and disassemble often.  But then why would you want to do that?

73,
Ron / W4MMP