Topics

Please help a new user....sound card and USB hub questions

Rob G8ZAX

Hi there,
My son (12) and I have just completed our Proficio and MFC, all looking good.
But we have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can help us with. 
1st, the Profico doesn't seem to be detected when connected via a USB 2 hub (Belkin). This is a problem as the PC (an Intel NUC) has 2x usb 2 ports and 1 USB 3 port, so we need to expand capacity.
Also....this NUC doesn't have sound on board, so I was planning an external USB one

I guess my questions to all you experienced users are:
1) Are there any USB sound cards that are good enough?
2) If we change PC, what internal sound card would be the best to add to it? (onboard ones are often not the best)
3) Is it OK to put both MFC and Proficio into a USB 2 Hub?

We were hoping to use the NUC and a small screen to make a relatively small transportable station - and I happened to have a spare NUC with i5 @ 1.8GHz, SSD, 8Gbytes RAM and Win7 pro 64bit.

Rob 
G8ZAX

Sorry for the newbie questions - I swear I have read the manual, and most of the messages on here

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Rob,

Everything was looking good until I saw "Win7 pro 64bit".  I have dropped Win 7 support when Micro Soft dropped support.  MSCC may work, but I can't guarantee it.

But to answer your questions:
1) Not detected. Is the Proficio detected if it directly attached to one of the on board USB ports?  If so, then there is a problem with the hub. If not, get back with me and we will take it from there. 
2) Any garden variety USB/Audio adapter is fine.  Find one you like.  I have not seen one that does not at least support 16bit/48KHz.  In fact applications such as WSJT-X specify a lower sample rate: 16bit/44.1KHz. 
3) I would simply move the above adapter to your new computer.
4) Yes, USB 2 has sufficient throughput to handle both.  However, please do not put a device such as thumb drive on the same hub and plan to use it.  That might drag things down a bit.  A note of caution.  As mentioned in the MFC assembly manual, the MFC will only function properly on a USB 2.0 port.  Until FTDI (FT245, the chip used in the MFC), fixes their driver, the MFC must be on a USB 2.0 port.

Ron / W4MMP
On 6/8/2020 10:12, Rob G8ZAX wrote:

Hi there,
1st, the Profico doesn't seem to be detected when connected via a USB 2 hub (Belkin). This is a problem as the PC (an Intel NUC) has 2x usb 2 ports and 1 USB 3 port, so we need to expand capacity.
Also....this NUC doesn't have sound on board, so I was planning an external USB one

2) If we change PC, what internal sound card would be the best to add to it? (onboard ones are often not the best)

We were hoping to use the NUC and a small screen to make a relatively small transportable station - and I happened to have a spare NUC with i5 @ 1.8GHz, SSD, 8Gbytes RAM and Win7 pro 64bit.

Rob 
G8ZAX

Sorry for the newbie questions - I swear I have read the manual, and most of the messages on here

--
Thank you for your support and business,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Rob G8ZAX

Many thanks, will try a cost effective USB sound card for now, and buy a 2nd USB 2 Hub to test
I will also try on a "proper computer tonight” 

I get the win 7 not being supported thing. Trouble is it is so much nicer to use than win 10, and some of my legacy apps don’t like Win 10…… ah progress!
(BTW I am an IT professional and have used every version of DOS and windows ever produced)

Many thanks Ron for you support, this seems to be a great little radio, was a nice build, and frankly, your support has been better than most “big brand” suppliers

Rob
G8ZAX  

On 8 Jun 2020, at 15:47, Ron / W4MMP via groups.io <w4mmp@...> wrote:

Hi Rob,

Everything was looking good until I saw "Win7 pro 64bit".  I have dropped Win 7 support when Micro Soft dropped support.  MSCC may work, but I can't guarantee it.

1) Not detected. Is the Proficio detected if it directly attached to one of the on board USB ports?  If so, then there is a problem with the hub. If not, get back with me and we will take it from there. 
2) Any garden variety USB/Audio adapter is fine.  Find one you like.  I have not seen one that does not at least support 16bit/48KHz.  In fact applications such as WSJT-X specify a lower sample rate: 16bit/44.1KHz. 
4) Yes, USB 2 has sufficient throughput to handle both.  However, please do not put a device such as thumb drive on the same hub and plan to use it.  That might drag things down a bit.  A note of caution.  As mentioned in the MFC assembly manual, the MFC will only function properly on a USB 2.0 port.  Until FTDI (FT245, the chip used in the MFC), fixes their driver, the MFC must be on a USB 2.0 port.

Ron / W4MMP
Hi there,

Rob 
G8ZAX

--
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Rob,

Thanks!  I really try to provide a good experience for our products.  I don't always hit the mark, but with only very few exceptions, problems have been corrected.

As you have noted and may I suggest, if you have a Win 10 machine with a USB 2.0 port, install the Proficio on that machine and install MSCC.  Get it working there and then move onto working with the other computer.   Start from a known working condition and move on from there.

Let me know how it goes.

P.S.  Thanks for using the support forum.  The information in these posts may be of value to other folks.

Ron / W4MMP
On 6/8/2020 11:42, Rob G8ZAX wrote:

Many thanks, will try a cost effective USB sound card for now, and buy a 2nd USB 2 Hub to test
I will also try on a "proper computer tonight” 

I get the win 7 not being supported thing. Trouble is it is so much nicer to use than win 10, and some of my legacy apps don’t like Win 10…… ah progress!
(BTW I am an IT professional and have used every version of DOS and windows ever produced)

Many thanks Ron for you support, this seems to be a great little radio, was a nice build, and frankly, your support has been better than most “big brand” suppliers

Rob
G8ZAX  

On 8 Jun 2020, at 15:47, Ron / W4MMP via groups.io <w4mmp@...> wrote:

Hi Rob,

Ron / W4MMP
Hi there,

Rob 
G8ZAX

--
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

--
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Rob G8ZAX

Hi there,
Up date:It works! 
So I can confirm for anyone interested, that the quality of the kit, and the instructions are fine for a 12yr old to be able to complete unaided.

Windows 7 pro (64bit) and Win 10.  The problem was tracked down to needing a powered USB 2.0 hub. Hard to find nowadays!

IQBD also built - 12yr olds have good eyesight thank goodness!

Question : Trying to calibrate now, but have a problem - can't receive any of the "standard carriers". We are in the UK. I was hoping to be able to create my own source signal to calibrate to (We have a well calibrated K3S in our shack) but all of the standard frequencies are out of band, so I cannot generate a carrier.
btw In the UK we use NSF as our radio time clock (60KHz).  Any suggestions?  Is there any way to add a frequency of our own choosing? 

Here is M7WER with his newly built Proficio (and IQBD)

73                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
Rob

Ron / W4MMP

Hello Rob,

Very Cool!  I am very glad to hear that your son is interested in ham radio and has his license.  Personally, I think building a great way to get kids involved in ham radio.  It gives them a sense of accomplishment beyond that of operating.

I'm a bit surprised a powered USB hub is required.  I suspect something is amiss with the internal USB hub of the computer.  But it is what it is and you found a solution.

60KHz is not a good source for calibration.   That frequency is far too low to calibrate the Proficio.  The highest frequency available in the MHz range is the best selection.  Let me know the frequency you want to use that is 10MHz or higher and I will add it to the list of standard carriers. 

Ron / W4MMP
On 6/14/2020 06:51, Rob G8ZAX wrote:

Hi there,
Up date:It works! 
So I can confirm for anyone interested, that the quality of the kit, and the instructions are fine for a 12yr old to be able to complete unaided.

Windows 7 pro (64bit) and Win 10.  The problem was tracked down to needing a powered USB 2.0 hub. Hard to find nowadays!

IQBD also built - 12yr olds have good eyesight thank goodness!

Question : Trying to calibrate now, but have a problem - can't receive any of the "standard carriers". We are in the UK. I was hoping to be able to create my own source signal to calibrate to (We have a well calibrated K3S in our shack) but all of the standard frequencies are out of band, so I cannot generate a carrier.
btw In the UK we use NSF as our radio time clock (60KHz).  Any suggestions?  Is there any way to add a frequency of our own choosing? 

Here is M7WER with his newly built Proficio (and IQBD)

73                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
Rob

--
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Rob G8ZAX

Hi Ron,

I have been told (by another user that 9.996 is the Russian signal…we can receive it but it is only just  readable over QRM here.

If there is any way I can do a mod to get any in band amateur signal on the list, I can use our K3S to generate a low power carrier into a dummy load  - should give us S9 easily. I would suggest something in the 10m band

My son got into radio because he saw me soldering a “frog sounds” kit…he has won the construction contest in our local club 3yrs in a row now

(Elecraft xv144 built when he was 9)

Rob

From: main@MultusSDR.groups.io [mailto:main@MultusSDR.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ron / W4MMP via groups.io
Sent: 14 June 2020 14:14
To: main@MultusSDR.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Multus SDR] Please help a new user....sound card and USB hub questions

Hello Rob,

Very Cool!  I am very glad to hear that your son is interested in ham radio and has his license.  Personally, I think building a great way to get kids involved in ham radio.  It gives them a sense of accomplishment beyond that of operating.

I'm a bit surprised a powered USB hub is required.  I suspect something is amiss with the internal USB hub of the computer.  But it is what it is and you found a solution.

60KHz is not a good source for calibration.   That frequency is far too low to calibrate the Proficio.  The highest frequency available in the MHz range is the best selection.  Let me know the frequency you want to use that is 10MHz or higher and I will add it to the list of standard carriers. 

Ron / W4MMP

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Rob,

No, sorry but there is nothing you can mod.  This all accomplished in the MSCC software.  Pick a frequency in the 10M band and I will add it.  Will the K3S transmit 30MHz? That is already in the list.

I'm surprised you can't receive the 10MHz carrier from China.  I have not heard it in a while and I just thought is due to propagation of late.  Perhaps they turned it off (which would be the right thing to do since it interfered immensely with the 10MHz WWV signal which has been in existence since almost the beginning of radio (yea a bit of exaggeration on that point).

I am thinking about allowing for the selection of any frequency for calibration but that will take some doing.  So for now let me know what frequency you need and I will make a quick modification to MSCC. 

Ron / W4MMP
On 6/14/2020 09:55, Rob G8ZAX wrote:

Hi Ron,

I have been told (by another user that 9.996 is the Russian signal…we can receive it but it is only just  readable over QRM here.

If there is any way I can do a mod to get any in band amateur signal on the list, I can use our K3S to generate a low power carrier into a dummy load  - should give us S9 easily. I would suggest something in the 10m band

My son got into radio because he saw me soldering a “frog sounds” kit…he has won the construction contest in our local club 3yrs in a row now

Rob

From: main@MultusSDR.groups.io [mailto:main@MultusSDR.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ron / W4MMP via groups.io
Subject: Re: [Multus SDR] Please help a new user....sound card and USB hub questions

Hello Rob,

Ron / W4MMP

--
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Rob G8ZAX

Hi Ron,

Many thanks. I would be convenient to be able to choose a frequency…. But…good news…I managed to get RWM on 9.996Mhz to work.

(needed to use a receive mag loop to do it – tight tuning enabled removal of enough QRM that it was a clear signal, then wait until 30 seconds past the hour , for their 7mins 55 seconds of plain carrier)

All good!  We are calibrated (rough then fine)

Moving on to IQ balance later – or maybe tomorrow

Rob

Sent: 14 June 2020 15:43

Hi Rob,

No, sorry but there is nothing you can mod.  This all accomplished in the MSCC software.  Pick a frequency in the 10M band and I will add it.  Will the K3S transmit 30MHz? That is already in the list.

I'm surprised you can't receive the 10MHz carrier from China.  I have not heard it in a while and I just thought is due to propagation of late.  Perhaps they turned it off (which would be the right thing to do since it interfered immensely with the 10MHz WWV signal which has been in existence since almost the beginning of radio (yea a bit of exaggeration on that point).

I am thinking about allowing for the selection of any frequency for calibration but that will take some doing.  So for now let me know what frequency you need and I will make a quick modification to MSCC. 

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Ron,

Rob

Hello Rob,

Ron / W4MMP

--
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Rob,

Outstanding!  Thanks for your persistence.  I a favor to ask of you.   I would like to see the results of the calibration.   On the Misc/CW tab there is a Backup Button.  Simply click that button and send the resulting zip file to me. The zip file will be located in the Release-Package folder.  Click on the Release-Package short cut.

Ron / W4MMP
On 6/14/2020 11:13, Rob G8ZAX wrote:

Hi Ron,

Many thanks. I would be convenient to be able to choose a frequency…. But…good news…I managed to get RWM on 9.996Mhz to work.

(needed to use a receive mag loop to do it – tight tuning enabled removal of enough QRM that it was a clear signal, then wait until 30 seconds past the hour , for their 7mins 55 seconds of plain carrier)

Rob

Hi Rob,

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Ron,

Rob

Hello Rob,

Ron / W4MMP

--
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

--
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Ron / W4MMP

P.S.  There is nothing user confidential in the zip file.  No user ID or passwords or anything of that type of data.  Only configuration information specific to MSCC. 

Ron / W4MMP
On 6/14/2020 11:27, Ron / W4MMP via groups.io wrote:

Hi Rob,

Outstanding!  Thanks for your persistence.  I a favor to ask of you.   I would like to see the results of the calibration.   On the Misc/CW tab there is a Backup Button.  Simply click that button and send the resulting zip file to me. The zip file will be located in the Release-Package folder.  Click on the Release-Package short cut.

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Ron,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Ron,

Rob

Hello Rob,

Ron / W4MMP

--
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

--
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

--
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Rob G8ZAX

Hi Ron

Here it is, hope it helps

Will do the IQ stuff tomorrow, but have been listening to lots of things so far…sounds good. William hopes to work the club net tomorrow night, all being well

Rob

Sent: 14 June 2020 16:28

Hi Rob,

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Ron,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Ron,

Rob

Hello Rob,

Ron / W4MMP

--
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

--
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP