Topics

Solidus: Opinion Please

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Folks,
I have been able to somewhat successfully port MSCC to the RPi.   Still have a lot of work to do but after viewing MSCC on the small screen,  I have decided it needs a face lift.   Below is the display portion of a Yaesu rig. I would like to achieve something similar.  Because most of the controls of the Yaesu are to the right of the display,  no real operator controls are presented on the Yaesu display.  This is where your opinion comes in.  What controls you believe are the bare essential controls for operating the rig that should be on the main tab display of MSCC?   Keep in mind the Solidus has a  tuning knob and also six physical push buttons that will control an array of functions such as frequency tuning,  volume control,  RIT control and such.  (For those who have the MFC, think MFC when it comes to the knob and buttons).

--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,

Richard Lawn

Filter selection, tuning band width, maybe attenuation increments. I think those are the biggies for me bu I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Happy 4th
Rick, W2JAZ

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Rick,

OK, on the filter selection, but what are tuning band width and attenuation?  The Proficio does not have attenuation.

73,
Ron / W4MMP
On 7/2/2020 16:16, Richard Lawn wrote:

Filter selection, tuning band width, maybe attenuation increments. I think those are the biggies for me bu I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Happy 4th
Rick, W2JAZ

--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Ron,
On a slightly alternate tack (although I will provide a later comment on what I consider the "necessary" controls), have you looked at the mcHF SDR TRX and it's variants from China (Recent 918, 928 etc)? Their touchscreen, while small, in conjunction with the various push buttons and encoders provides a truly impressive array of functionality. Probably well beyond the scope of what you're looking at doing but interesting nonetheless. I have a Recent RS-918 which I am toying with but the 300W Proficio is what I use every day...

Although I have two RPis here, I have been toying with the idea of using one of my "spare" Proficio boards in a new-build consisting of:

1) Proficio (of course)
2) VFO dial encoder (utilizing a salvaged mouse wheel)
3) PC on a "Stick" (or something like the new LarkBox micro PC: 4gb RAM, 128gb SSD, full Windows 10 functionality, HDMI Video, multiple USB ports etc)
4) 5" or 7" HD screen
5) Built-in CW keyer (like K1EL?)

Right now, I'm considering if I should build in an amplifier or just leave it QRP to output to my HB linear... I have a mock up of the panel in a Takachi enclosure (attached), but I'm still thinking things through.

I'll have a think about the controls and revert.

73,
Robert VE7ZN

---- On Thu, 02 Jul 2020 13:22:13 -0700 Ron / W4MMP via groups.io <w4mmp@...> wrote ----

Hi Rick,

OK, on the filter selection, but what are tuning band width and attenuation?  The Proficio does not have attenuation.

73,
Ron / W4MMP
On 7/2/2020 16:16, Richard Lawn wrote:
Filter selection, tuning band width, maybe attenuation increments. I think those are the biggies for me bu I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Happy 4th
Rick, W2JAZ

--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

--
73,

Robert VE7ZN

Ron / W4MMP

Edited

Hi Robert,

Yea,  the mcHF SDR TRX looks like a nice rig,  but $500.00+ for a 15W rig?  I hope it has a killer receiver for that price.

The Solidus will be almost identical to the ideas you have.

1) Proficio (of course)
Solidus: Yep, has that :)
2) VFO dial encoder (utilizing a salvaged mouse wheel)
The Solidus uses a modified form of the MFC.
3) PC on a "Stick" (or something like the new LarkBox micro PC: 4gb RAM, 128gb SSD, full Windows 10 functionality, HDMI Video, multiple USB ports etc)
Solidus:  Raspberry Pi 4B
4) 5" or 7" HD screen
Solidus: 5" 800x480 display
5) Built-in CW keyer (like K1EL?)
Solidus: Built-in CW keyer

Below is my first cut of MSCC for the Solidus.  It is a 800x480 format display and is fixed to that size.  Most of the relevant operator controls are on the Main tab.  The S Meter, Spectrum and Waterfall are permanent on the Main tab.  The design is roughly based on the Yaesu as presented previously in this thread.  Because I like CW, the important RIT functions are on the Main tab.   So overall, stuff has been swashed and the fonts are as small as Windows Visual Studio provides.
Soap Box:
It seems people like microscopic fonts and such as what is used on cell phones. They also seem to like as much stuff crammed onto one relatively small screen as possible. The controls are still on the boxy side because when I started this project Winforms was used and I have no desire to move WPF (Microsoft does not provide any upgrade or conversion paths to WPF).
So I guess the design is OK and in line with what people want.
Off Soap Box:

--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Richard Lawn

You’re teasing us Ron! When will it be available.

Rick, W2JAZ
--

Jens / DH1AKY

Hi Ron,

by my opinion the design seems to be okay, you won't get a design price for that, but OK.

Two things might be better:
1) the scale of the spectrum display has to be the same as the waterfall

Just my 2 cents.

73,
Jens

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Rick,

Maybe a month or so.  This version of MSCC relies on the new back end server architecture.  This version of MSCC is works just peachy with the servers running on a RPi 4B.  The task at hand is to back port the RPi servers to Windows.  Once that happens,  I will most likely abandon the current version of MSCC.  There is only some much code I am willing to support considering the low take up of MSCC.

73,
Ron / W4MMP
On 7/5/2020 09:27, Richard Lawn wrote:

You’re teasing us Ron! When will it be available.

Rick, W2JAZ

Thank you for your support and business,
73,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Jens,

Ah pooh.  I was hoping for a gold star!!;-);-)

Yep, the two displays will be identical in scale.  I'm working on that now.  I will look into implementing short cut keys.  Some time ago,  I researched that topic, and at my level of VS expertise,  tain't easy.

73,
Ron / W4MMP
On 7/5/2020 11:05, Jens / DH1AKY wrote:

Hi Ron,

by my opinion the design seems to be okay, you won't get a design price for that, but OK.

Two things might be better:
1) the scale of the spectrum display has to be the same as the waterfall

Just my 2 cents.

73,
Jens

--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Folks,

Another screen shot.  It still needs a few more tweaks,  but this is close to the final product.  It still meets the goals of easy to configure and easy to use.  It is actually easier to configure than the current MSCC.  The waterfall and spectrum are now fixed in both position and size.  Nothing to configure there.   The S/W button brings up the spectrum / waterfall configuration window (identical to the current MSCC) to configure the specifics of each (background color, speed and such).  I will probably add more color controls as time marches on for the S meter and such.

73,
Ron / W4MMP
On 7/5/2020 12:35, Ron / W4MMP via groups.io wrote:

[...]

I think it is looking good.  A big improvement.

Greg

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Folks,
MSCC is running completely on the RPi,  It has a bunch of bugs to be fixed and it will be a while until it is ready for prime time.  Below is a side by side look at MSCC running on Windows and the RPi.  I am working on being able to run the MSCC GUI on both Windows and the RPi simultaneously.    For folks who want to run the GUI on a Mac,  Parallels appears to be a working solution.