Solidus Update

Dennis M

Hi Ron,

Can you give us an update on the progress of the Solidus?

Dennis
KE2GT

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Dennis,

The Solidus has been a long time in coming.  It is ready for release however due to changes in my personal circumstances,  the Solidus will be available only in a DIY form.  Meaning the PCBs will not be prepopulated by a manufacture.   The kit will be supplied with the PCBs, display and some hardware (connectors, cables and such).   A BOM will be supplied and the components specified in the BOM will need to be ordered separately.

It is probably best to ask the early adopter team for their opinions of the Solidus.   Jason (KV4TE) has the most experience with the Solidus.  Perhaps he will provide his take on the rig.  I use my Solidus everyday and it (IMHO) is respectable rig.  Software development continues and improvements in MSCC are on going.

In a couple of weeks what essentially will be a sales flyer and the assembly manual will be ready for viewing.  After those are posted, I will create a poll to determine how many folks are interested in purchasing the Solidus.

73,
Ron / W4MMP

--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,

Dennis M

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the update. The Solidus sounds interesting to me. I'm looking forward to seeing the flyer and assembly manual.

Dennis
KE2GT

jason kitchens

Work is busy, which caused a delay in response.

The Solidus is a solid radio.
Pun intended but it's a accurate description.
I'm very happy with where the development is.
I used the radio during Field day this year from my QTH paired with a Hardrock50 as mine is a QRP version.
Only ~80 contacts due to lack of time.
I've made FT8 contacts with it at QRP levels, which isn't as easy as it used to be with the number of operators normally on 20M.

On to the change from semi finished PCB's to DIY.
There are a few surface mount IC's that will need to be soldered that are a little tough but nothing severe.
I see that as being a hurdle for some.
Might be worth seeing if it would be possible to just have the IC's populated from the PCB house.
If not, there are likely members of the group here that would be willing to populate those parts or even all of the parts.

If anyone has any questions for me feel free to post them here.