WA9UDW - Proficio Transmit Anomalies - Receive is OK

Terry / WA9UDW

Edited

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32 bit - 1.6 GHz processor - 3 GB usable ram

Test Equipment: Brymen BM235 DMM; Tekronix 2465B 400 MHz Oscilloscope; Icom IC-7000 transceiver; Vectronics transmatch with 300 W dummy load; Radio Shack digital swr/power meter; 160-10 M antennas; AnaTek ESR capacitor meter; temperature gun; VTVM; VOM; skin; eyes; ears; nose.

DC Supply: 13.68 vdc standby / 13.52 vdc with full output on 160 M.

SDR Applications: MSCC; HDSDR; Genesis

I finally got around to assembly and operation of my Proficio in February. It seemed to be functioning ok where I used it...mostly on 17M and 20M CW with MSCC, driving a Hardrock-50 amplifier. (I also did some AM & SSB testing into a dummy load)

The first sign of something being amiss was with the key down, transmitting a carrier, there would be an occasional hick-up in the output. The carrier would drop for a fraction of second, maybe about two events per minute. I use the IC-7000 as a side-tone monitor. Days ahead, the next thing to happen was what sounded like a "hashy" oscillation of the output signal. Lowering the output level to about 1-2 W would stop the oscillation. Sometimes in this state, the transmitter would lock up, and I would have to switch off the power supply to disable it.  I ran it a few more days at reduced drive into the Hardrock-50, but eventually measurable output ceased on 17 & 15 M. But a weak signal can still be heard in the IC-7000. I looked at the output carrier wave forms, and found symmetry distortion on all bands, that is most noticeable on 40-10 M. Also there appears to be some "FM-ing" mostly centered around 40 M.

Upon examining the circuit board, I noticed bulging on the tops of L5, L6, L7, L10, L11 & L12.

The Proficio is being operated in open air, with the fan that comes with the panel kit, resting on top of the heat sink and wired for 12 vdc.

May I have possibly damaged the static sensitive PA MOSFET during assembly?

Suggestions?

Terry - WA9UDW

Hi Terry

That is the strangest fault I have ever come across!

Generally the PA is virtually indestructible. For  L5, L6, L7, L10, L11 & L12 to be damaged the current must have been very high.

I would check that U20 is actually switching the relays. U20 could be damaged or have a bad connection. I would also use a scope to check the input and output of the PA LPF's. To do this I would monitor the voltage at C61 and at the antenna into a dummy load.

Best of luck! An interesting problem

Richard
VK6FR

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 25/03/2021 7:18:38 AM
Subject: [Multus SDR] WA9UDW - Proficio Transmit Anomalies - Receive is OK

[Edited Message Follows]

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32 bit - 1.6 GHz processor - 3 GB usable ram

Test Equipment: Brymen BM235 DMM; Tekronix 2465B 400 MHz Oscilloscope; Icom IC-7000 transceiver; Vectronics transmatch with 300 W dummy load; Radio Shack digital swr/power meter; 160-10 M antennas; AnaTek ESR capacitor meter; temperature gun; VTVM; VOM; skin; eyes; ears; nose.

I finally got around to assembly and operation of my Proficio in February. It seemed to be functioning ok where I used it...mostly on 17M and 20M CW with MSCC, driving a Hardrock-50 amplifier. (I also did some AM & SSB testing into a dummy load)

The first sign of something being amiss was with the key down, transmitting a carrier, there would be an occasional hick-up in the output. The carrier would drop for a fraction of second, maybe about two events per minute. I use the IC-7000 as a side-tone monitor. Days ahead, the next thing to happen was what sounded like a "hashy" oscillation of the output signal. Lowering the output level to about 1-2 W would stop the oscillation. Sometimes in this state, the transmitter would lock up, and I would have to switch off the power supply to disable it.  I ran it a few more days at reduced drive into the Hardrock-50, but eventually measurable output ceased on 17 & 15 M. But a weak signal can still be heard in the IC-7000. I looked at the output carrier wave forms, and found symmetry distortion on all bands, that is most noticeable on 40-10 M. Also there appears to be some "FM-ing" mostly centered around 40 M.

Upon examining the circuit board, I noticed bulging on the tops of L5, L6, L7, L10, L11 & L12.

The Proficio is being operated in open air, with the fan that comes with the panel kit, resting on top of the heat sink and wired for 12 vdc.

Suggestions?

Terry - WA9UDW

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Terry,

I would like to inspect the rig.  Please return it to me for inspection and/or repair.   I will PM you with my shipping address.

Ron / W4MMP
On 3/24/2021 19:18, Terry / WA9UDW via groups.io wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Suggestions?

Terry - WA9UDW

--
Thank you for your support and business,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Terry / WA9UDW

Thank you Richard and Ron!

Ron, I could mail the rig to you tomorrow, Friday, via USPS Priority mail. I don't yet know how to send and receive PMs on this site, but maybe it will become obvious when you send your shipping info.

73, Terry / WA9UDW

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Terry,
When using the groups.IO web interface,  click the reply button.  At the bottom right there is a "Private" button.  Click that and your reply will be send only to the person you are replying to.
--
Thank you for your support and business,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP