Topics

Zero Freq on Band change

Steve Rehmel

Hi Ron,

I have a really strange thing that happens when doing a band change.

I have been listening to 40M lately because of all the activity, but as I move up the bands to 30M the VFO zeros out and then when I change frequencies it no long switches the filters (relay clicks). The only way to correct it is to restart MSCC. I have tried Initialize in the CW/Misc tab and I thought it solved the problem, but it came back.

I looked through the manual to see what I was doing wrong, but I just could not figure it out. I have loaded the latest level of MSCC, and updated the FW on my level 1 Proficio.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Thank you for your help,
Steve

PS=> You have made a comment awhile back that you would provide instructions to update the level 1 Proficio up to the current level, for those who are willing to proceed at their own risk. :-) Is there any updates on this? I don't think it is going to matter, because I think I am going to add in the Solidus anyway, just thought I would ask because I have thought about adding the MFC to my unit. (I really would like to have a big knob to spin.)

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Steve,

When this happens, on the CW/Misc tab click the Backup button and send the resulting zip file to me.  Something is amiss with the Last_used.ini file.

I have a shiny un-built original Proficio PCB.  I will take a few photos of it and mark up where here the I2C connections are.  But again, this is definitely a perform at your own risky. Or as they say, this is on you, if things turn to crap ;-)

73,
Ron / W4MMP

--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,

Ron / W4MMP

Forgot the screen shot:

--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Steve Rehmel

Please find attached the zip file.

Thank You,
Steve Rehmel

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Steve,

OK, I now understand what is happening.  As you mentioned,  when you are in an amateur band,  you are tuning outside of the band range.  MSCC was not designed to handle this.  So what is happening the last used frequency in a given band is being set to what it thinks is an invalid frequency and when returning to that band,  MSCC does not display the frequency.  The quick fix for this to to select a band that is not working,  dial in a valid frequency that is within the operating confines of that band.  Do this for every band that is displaying all zeros when the band button is selected.  Don't tune outside of the valid frequency range for the amateur bands.

I will correct this bug in an upcoming release.  For the folks reading this post, there are two options:

1) Limit the tuning range of a given amateur band to the valid range for that band.
2) Allow tuning beyond the range of a given band and return to that frequency when the band is selected.
Which option should be implemented?

Honestly I never gave a thought to tuning outside the frequency range for an amateur band.  I use the GEN button for that.

The highlighted bands below have invalid frequencies.

BAND=0,FREQ=28809044,MODE=A;
BAND=1,FREQ=25000000,MODE=A;
BAND=2,FREQ=21000000,MODE=A;
BAND=3,FREQ=18052282,MODE=U;
BAND=4,FREQ=14097997,MODE=C;
BAND=5,FREQ=10094594,MODE=L;
BAND=6,FREQ=7275482,MODE=L;
BAND=7,FREQ=5339295,MODE=U;
BAND=8,FREQ=3488405,MODE=L;
BAND=9,FREQ=1800000,MODE=L;

73,
Ron / W4MMP
On 6/2/2020 16:00, Steve Rehmel wrote:

Please find attached the zip file.

Thank You,
Steve Rehmel

--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Steve Rehmel

Thanks Ron,

That fixed my problem. I really should have know that, but I have not talk on it yet, and I am still trying to make sure I play in my band plan. :-)

Being a newbie at HF, I would suggest that you alert the user when they move outside the given band, by changing the frequency character colors or the band maybe the band color. This would at least let you listen outside the band, and still let the user know they are outside the band plan frequency.

Thanks again for the great support,
Steve Rehmel

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Steve,
Yes, good ideas.   I will give this thought and implement something so that returning to a band does not cause a goof up with the frequency display.  Just so you know,  if even if you do tune outside the legal operating frequencies,  the TUNE and PTT buttons will not function.  MSCC and the Proficio firmware both safe guard against transmitting outside of the legal frequencies.

On this note, I have just reviewed the bands for ITU Region 1.  If the Wiki page is correct, the cut off for 80M is 3.8MHz.  The cut off for 40M is 7.2MHz.  Is this correct?
--
Thank you for your support and business,
73,
The Multus SDR,LLC Team,
Ron / W4MMP

Steve Rehmel

Hi Ron,

I am a little confused by your question. I live in the US so I follow the ARRL band plan, at the Technician's Class. (I need to work on getting my General. :-)

Thanks,
Steve

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Steve,

Sorry, that question was not directed to you.   I was hoping someone in ITU region 1 would read and respond.

73,
Ron / W4MMP